California State University, Chico enrolls over 17,000 students per year and offers bachelor’s, master’s and some certificate programs. The University’s computer science, manufacturing, construction management, and business management graduates are heavily recruited. Many would prefer to stay in the north state, given the right job opportunities. Agriculture is another area which Chico State shines, providing resources to regional farmers and food processors.
Engineering, Computer Science, Construction
The College of Engineering, Computer Science and Construction Management (ECC) offers 11 undergraduate and 2 graduate programs, with rapidly growing enrollment in most disciplines. Students are frequent standouts in national competitions such as the Society of Manufacturing Engineers and the Association of General Contractors. Notable College of ECC features include:
- Computer Animation – One-of-a-kind Computer Animation and Game Development degree in the CSU system.
- Mechatronics – ABET-accredited Mechatronic Engineering program is the only such program in the CSU system.
- Polymers – PhD-level research on biodegradable plastics is conducted by undergraduates in the Polymers Manufacturing Laboratory.
- Concrete – Concrete Industry Management is one of only four such programs in the country.
- Pavement – California's only Caltrans certified laboratory — the California Pavement Preservation Center (CPPC).
- Solar – A solar laboratory on the roof of the engineering building is used by students for hands-on projects.
The Chico State Center for Entrepreneurship provides support for students and recent alumni to build their own businesses. The Center aims to help students move beyond the classroom, remove the barriers to success, and pave the way for a successful business launch. Each semester the Center hosts a variety of competitions with cash prizes to challenge students and expose them to real-world ideas. The Center also makes startup funds available in the range of $5,000-$10,000 twice every year through its Accelerator Fund.
Agriculture and Food Processing
California’s Sacramento Valley has a rich agricultural heritage, and the University’s College of Agriculture is a valuable partner to ag and food processing companies in the region. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in Ag Science and Ag Business and an online master’s degree in Ag Education.
The 800-acre University Farm supplements classroom learning with hands-on experience, led by a farm manager and 15 full-time staff members. The Farm’s diverse products include meat, row crops, orchards and organic vegetables. The University has formed unique partnerships with area businesses such as Sierra Nevada Brewery, which provides grain and yeast byproducts for feed and in turn serves University-raised beef in its restaurant. College Values Online ranked Chico State’s University as the number 1 sustainable college farm in the country.
- College of Engineering, Computer Science and Construction Management (College of ECC) – Undergraduate and graduate programs.
- CSUC Research Centers – Pavement Center, Mechatronics, Intelligent Systems.
- CSUC Career Center – Career fairs, on-campus recruiting, job posting.
- CSUC University Farm – 800-acre working farm in Chico.
- Chico State – home page.