Chico is an active, sports loving community. Whether you're eager to jump in and participate or cheer from the stands, we have plenty of options from which to choose.
CARD (Chico Area Recreation and Park District) provides a full range of quality programs for the entire family. Working in partnership with the City of Chico, CARD participants find an ever growing list of opportunities from which to build memories, create friendships and foster healthy minds and bodies.
A few of the athletic programs offered include:
- Flag Football
- Track & Field
- Senior Sports
- Toddler sports
For a current list of programs available, please visit the CARD website.
Swimming is a way of life in Chico. If you prefer pools over local creeks and swim holes, here are a few programs to explore:
- CARD offers a full range of aquatic programs ranging from water polo and underwater hockey to swim team and lap fitness.
- Chico Water Sprites offers private lessons for children. The program's roots are grounded in Olympic swimming and they believe in keeping kids engaged and moving.
- Chico Aqua Jets is a year round swim team run by the Chico Area Swim Association. They encourage and enhance a competitive swim environment for all ages and have a tradition of excellence.
Chico is a cycling town. Both road warriors and trail riders will find an abundance of cycling to fill your love of two wheels. Under the events section, you'll find more information about the Wildflower Century ride and the Bidwell bump - two major cycling events held in Chico.
- Chico Velo is a local non-profit who organizes rides locally as well as regionally.
- For you mountain bikers, check out the Bidwell Park Tour page or visit North Rim Adventures for local rides and trail information.
- Looking for a bike map? Here's an online version or visit the Visitor Center downtown for a physical copy.
- For more information on cycling in Chico, please visit the City's Traffic Division page for detailed information on maps, safety and policies.
With the variety of terrain Chico has to offer, it's no wonder running is a popular activity. Road or trail, you'll find canopy covered flat runs, trails running creekside as well as hill climbing options in wide open spaces. Whatever your passion, Chico delivers.
- The Chico Running Club hosts fun run/walks for members and the Chico community, and organizes foot races for participants from all over California.
- Rim to Rim Trail Run ultramarathon held in June. Featuring a half marathon, marathon, 50K and 50 mile ultramarathon.
- Bidwell Classic Half Marathon, 5K and Relay is a fast, flat paved course that runs throughout lower Bidwell park. 2016 rang in 40 years of this popular race typically held in March.
Chico offers a variety of engaging sports for our community to enjoy throughout the year.
- High School Sports: Our two largest high schools, Chico High and Pleasant Valley High, offer award winning competitive sports that are spectator friendly and thoroughly enjoyable. Each football season, these two high schools meet in the Almond Bowl, a Chico tradition nearly 50 years old. Wrestling, basketball, volleyball, soccer - Chico area schools have a tradition of success and achievement.
- Chico Heat Baseball. High caliber baseball is back in Chico! Part of the Great West League, the Chico Heat is a premier collegiate wood bat league providing a professional, minor-league like atmosphere for top college athletes seeking a professional baseball career. Providing affordable family fun, the Heat is a welcome summer time reprieve. If you cant make it to the game, you can listen on the KPAY mobile sports app!
- Butte Community College has enjoyed a variety to championships throughout their sports programs. Most notably, the RoadRunner football team has won 2 National Championships, 2 State Championships and 28 bowl games. It's home to 1 Super Bowl MVP (Aaron Rodgers) and 1 NFL Hall of Fame Inductee (Larry Allen).
- Chico State boasts its share of successful and entertaining sports teams. The Wildcats Baseball team has brought home 2 Division II College World Series titles and has had 9 West Regional Titles and College World Series appearances. Wildcat Women's Basketball team has brought home 12 Conference Championships.